Just in case you didn't know, it's week 9. Time to start sleeping in the library (if you don't already). Just kidding. But, remember even though finals are approaching, please get enough sleep and don't stress your body out too much! If you're too stressed out try out Student Health and Counseling Services' Mind Spa located at North Hall. And remember you can do anything you set your mind to.
The last three weeks are extremely boring in the quarter. So here is what I've gathered for this week:
Announcements February 28 - March 5
•Here are job opportunities (Animal Related!). Make sure to use Aggie Job Link.
• Interested in being a barn resident at one of UC Davis' facilities for the 2016 - 2017 academic year? Applications are now open! In exchange for free housing, students will work approximately 10 hours of work per week. The due date to apply is by March 16 at 5:00 PM. You can obtain and turn in applications at the Animal Science Advising Center (1202 Meyer Hall).
• Chicanx and Latinx in STEM will be holding their next meeting Monday, March 7. They are inviting advisers from STEM departments to talk about what they do. There will also be additional research programs presented for underrepresented communities such as Mentorships for Undergraduate Research Participants in the Physical and Mathematical Sciences (MURPPS) and Mentorship for Undergraduate Research in Agriculture, Letters, and Science (MURALS). Lunch will also be provided. If you are interested in attending, please fill out the form.
• RESEARCH OPPORTUNITY: Dr. Ji is looking for two undergraduates (preferably juniors or seniors) who are interested in researching literature and writing summary reports. The topics that interns will be looking at will focus on nutrition and management of dairy cattle. It is preferred if you have an interest in learning more about dairy cattle.
Email Dr. Ji if interested.
• This week is the 12th Annual Mixed Heritage Week (MHW)! What is MHW? It is a week that not only celebrates the identities of
multi-ethnic and multiracial individuals,
but also the identities of those who are multi-faith and trans-racial adoptees. Here is a flyer with the list of events happening all week. All events are mentioned and bolded in the pre-vet calendar as well.
Pre-Vet Calendar February 28 - March 5
• Craving something sweet? PSSD is having a fundraiser from 4 PM to 11 PM at CREAM (110 F Street). Be sure to mention to the cashier that you're there for PSSD. Take a photo of your receipt and email it to PSSD President Nicole. You will get some priority for our upcoming events and workshops.
• MHW: Identity Politics 101. Learn and share about how identities are created from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM in Meeting Room E in the Student Community Center (SCC). You will also walk away with knowing YOU are the person that creates your identity.
• MHW: What's in a Name? This is a workshop that provides history on terminology used to describe people of mixed heritage around the world as well as implications of one's identity development. It will be held from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM in Meeting Room E in the SCC.
• Health Professions Advising (HPA) is holding a workshop on how to create your graduate school list at 7:10 PM in Kleiber 3.
Tuesday, March 1
• Need help with centralized apps? HPA is having a Centralized Apps 101 event for all of the questions you might have at 2:10 PM in Wellman 129.
• MHW: Mixed Open Mic Night. Mixed Open Mic Night is a night to celebrate identities through poetry, music and dance. It will be held from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM in MU III of Memorial Union. For more information, please check out the Facebook event.
Wednesday, March 2
• MHW: Intersections of Judaism. This will be a panel discussion from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM in Meeting Room D in the SCC. It will feature a diverse narratives from the UC Davis Jewish Community.
• HPA is also having another event this week on how to write about experiences for graduate schools at 7:10 PM in Storer 1344.
• If you are interested in volunteering for Mercer at the Farmers Market, the Google Form is due by 6:00 PM.
Thursday, March 3
• Need help with approaching faculty to write letters of recommendation? HPA is having a workshop at 4:10 PM in Wellman 205 to discuss how you can get LORs and answer any questions you might have.
• MHW: Constructing Our Own Identities
This workshop includes discussions and activities surrounding race, culture, and allows adoptees to share their narrative and discuss what it means to construct their own identities. It will be held from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM in Meeting Room E of the SCC.
• MHW: Screening of Hafu takes place in the SCC Multipurpose Room (MPR) from 7:00 to 10:00 PM.
This 2013 Japanese film (English subtitles) is the unfolding journey of discovery into the intricacies of mixed-race Japanese and their experience in modern day Japan. Narrated by Hafus themselves, come to understand navigating a multicultural life within a mono-ethnic nation. Food and drinks will be served.
Friday, March 4
• The last event for the App Prep series this week is a mock MMI at 2:00 PM in the SCC MPR. Advanced Registration is required. You can register here.
Saturday, March 5
• Mercer Farmer's Market is today from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM. If you would like to volunteer for the Farmers' market, please fill out this form before Wednesday at 6:00 PM. To join the listserv please follow this link.
PSSD Publicity Coordinator 2015 - 2016