I hope you are all having a wonderful holiday weekend. Remember candy goes on sale tomorrow *wink wink*. Be sure to snag some ... for me (& the rest of the board). So just before announcements, the blog post for last Tuesday's meeting hopefully will be up tomorrow evening. I have just been super busy. Contrary to popular belief, I am not always on Facebook and social media. Secondly, if you have not picked up your club t-shirt, please email Chelsea. I mean Gunther, Buddy and Lexi would look adorable in our shirts, but we'd rather see you wearing them on campus. Last but not least, if you would like to purchase raffle tickets ($3 each) for our Kaplan giveaway ($2300 value!), please contact any of the officers. Only THREE were sold, so it is possible that the odds could be in your favor. ALSO if you would like to use the 10% promotional code, please feel free to contact me. I can email it to you in case you were not at our meeting! So enough of my rambling, here are this week's announcements:
Announcements Feb. 14 - Feb. 20
• Vote in ASUCD Winter 2016 elections! To check out the candidates and their platforms visit the official elections website.
• Mujeres Ayudando la Raza (MAR) presents their TAMALES FUNDRAISER! Choices include chicken, pork, cheese w/ jalepeño, and sweet (pineapple) tamales, all homemade, of course. $9 for half a dozen (6), and $16 for a baker's dozen (13). YES, you can mix your order. They will be taking orders until Feb. 25th and distributing the week before finals. Perfect, right? All proceeds go towards funding MAR's Migrant Center community service event. Please feel free to contact Saralee at (530)-204-3023 to place your order!
- Dr. Yanhong Liu is looking for one or two students to help assist with finding research articles approximately 6-9 hours a week. You can earn anywhere between 2-3 units of internship credit. She is a new faculty member of the Animal Science department. Her interests include non-nutritional supplements affecting animal gut health and the immune system. These supplements may include plant extracts, enzymes, direct-fed microbes, and others. If interested, please send her an email.
- Dr. Anita Oberbauer is also looking to take on new interns in her lab. She needs students that pay attention to detail, are reliable, familiar with excel & patience. She is looking at DNA sequencing. You would be looking at excel files a lot. However, research is research! Dr. Oberbauer is also the chair of the Animal Science Department and teaches ANS 42/142. Check out other projects she does here. If you are interested, send her an email.
- PhD candidate Katie Smith is also looking for interns to assist her with her work. She is investigating ways to improve management and conservation of salt marsh harvest mouse and waterfowl in the Suisun marsh. The salt marsh harvest mouse is an endangered species. For more information, please check out the project's Facebook page. Feel free to email her if you have any questions.
- Rumor has it, Dr. Frank Mitloehner is also looking for interns for upcoming projects. Because he was not in attendance at our meeting, I do not know what kinds of research opportunities he has available. It is best if you email him.
• Need a GE check? The College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Dean's Office (CAES) is holding drop-in advising hours every Wednesday from 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM at the Student Recruitment and Retention Center (SRRC).
•Here are job opportunities (Animal Related!). Make sure to use Aggie Job Link.
• The Vet Aide Club (VAC) is hosting Dinner With a Vet Professional on Saturday, February 27. It is an amazing opportunity to network as DVMs and UCD vet students will be in attendance from an array of specialties (large animal, research and lab animal, avian and exotics, small animal and equine). Food will also be catered by Buca di Beppo. Plus a raffle. If you are not a VAC member, tickets cost $15 each. Pre-sale for members ($12) ends TODAY (non-presale tickets are $15), so if you are members of both VAC and PSSD, definitely go order them now through this link.
Pre-vet Calendar Feb. 14 - feb. 20
• NO SCHOOL! Enjoy your day off!
Tuesday, February 16
• Health Professions Advising (HPA) presents Shaping Your Pre-Health Dream at 5:10 PM in Wellman 103.
Wednesday, February 17
• Want to study or intern abroad? From 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM in the Student Community Center (SCC) Multipurpose Room, you can talk with UC Davis Summer and Quarter Abroad instructors and learn about opportunities in other countries. There will be two workshops in Meeting Room B of the SCC.
- From 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM learn about paying for study abroad and financial aid available for students.
- From 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM learn about prestigious international scholarships.
Thursday, February 18
*Will update if there are events*
Friday, February 19
*Will update if there are events*
Saturday, February 20
• PSSD Skills Workshop TBA. Keep checking your emails for information on sign-ups.
PSSD Publicity Coordinator 2015 - 2016