ONLY 5 MORE WEEKS TO GO UNTIL SUMMER (I factored finals week into that equation).
I will continue to post about our 2nd Annual Dog Show Fundraiser until you hate me. But please, SPREAD THE WORD. INVITE ALL YOUR FRIENDS to the event on Facebook. Tell them admission is free, unless they would like to enter their furry companion into the dog show.
If you happened to miss Dr. Mitloehner this past Tuesday, see what he has to say here. He's really a brilliant man. Feel free to contact him about his work!
• PSSD's 2nd ANNUAL DOG SHOW FUNDRAISER is Saturday, May 14 at Arroyo Park from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM. Bring your family, fur babies and friends to have some fun. We will have raffles including prizes from Temple Coffee Roasters, RIRE clothing, and Tote Tails (AND MORE!). It is free to hang out (and pet puppies), but if you want to register your dog, there is a $10 registration fee. BUT PLEASE COME!
• OFFICER ELECTIONS ARE TUESDAY, MAY 3 from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM in Giedt 1001. PLEASE COME & VOTE. Because the candidates will be running the club next year. They will be planning YOUR events, workshops, etc so your vote matters.
ANNOUNCEMENTS MAY 2 - May 8
Knights Landing One Health Vet Clinic will be changing its curriculum to a year long commitment in hopes to establish consistent committee members. Changing the curriculum from a quarter long to a year long will solidify committee roles, reduce redundancy, increase committee bonds, and overall make more experienced KLOHC volunteers. You must be a PSSD member to apply. If you have any questions email Valerie. To apply please follow the link. Applications are due Wednesday, June 1.
• SODA CELEBRATION
Students of Diverse Affilations (SoDA) is hosting a Multicultural SoDA Appreciation Night on Friday, May 6 from 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM. It is just a night to celebrate each other's presence and collaborations throughout the past year. Dinner will be catered by Buca di Beppo – the same people who catered VAC's Dinner with a Health Professional (SO GOOD)! Entertainment also includes performances from various groups on campus. Space/food is limited, so please RSVP here. Fill out "PSSD" as the SoDA organization you are part of.
• GUESS WHAT? It's Gender Equity Awarenes Week at UC Davis. According to the UC Davis Women's Resources and Research Center's Facebook event, the week aims to highlight the ways that the social constructions of gender lead to disparities in social, economic, and political opportunities for folx of marginalized gender identities. The events will span from Monday, May 2 to Friday, May 6.
• PASS TIMES COME OUT MONDAY, MAY 2. WOOOHOOOOOOO.
• Register for UC Davis' Pre-Health Conference! Early registration (before Thursday, June 9) is only $15 for UCD students.
• Here is a list of Internship and Career Center events for the week of Monday, May 2- Friday, May 6. They are hosting workshops for finding health related internships and more from their Hire Me! Academy series. Go, go, go!
• By the way, the Whole Earth Festival is this weekend from May 6 - May 8. It's a lot of fun. It's like a mini Coachella featuring artists, food and more!
PRE-VET CALENDAR MAY 2 - MAY 8
• Kim O'Bryan, director of admissions at UCD School of Veterinary Medicine will be speaking at the VMCAS Workshop. It begins at 4:30 PM in Wellman 230. Go especially if you have any questions regarding the application process.
Tuesday, May 3
• Kappa Gamma Delta, Sigma Mu Delta, Delta Epsilon Mu, and OCHC are holding their 8th Annual Spring Health Fair on the West Quad from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM. PSSD will be there, so come say hi!
• Looking to be employed by the state of California? There will be a workshop from 1:10 PM to 2:00 PM in 114 South Hall.
• PSSD is having officer elections tonight from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM in Giedt 1001.
• Taiwanese American Organization (TAO) will be having a talent show at 7:00 PM in Giedt 1003. If you have a talent that you wish you'd like to show off, fill out their form.
Wednesday, May the Fourth be with you
• Transfer Pre-Health Mentoring Program is hosting a workshop on making a good first impression. Learn interpersonal communication and impression management at 3:10 PM in Life Sciences 1022.
• The Entertainment Council is showing Star Wars: The Force Awakens in the SciLec. Doors open at 7:15 PM. The movie will begin at 7:45 PM. There is a $3 admission fee.
• The Women's Resources and Research Center is holding a workshop for womxn identified, trans, and non-binary folks to learn the graduate school application process in STEM. The event begins at 5:00 PM at the Women's Resources and Research Center.
• Aggie Traditions: From 12:30 to 1:30 PM on the Silo Patio, there will be a tie-dying party for in preparation for Aggie Tradition #13: The Whole Earth Festival. They will provide t-shirts, dye, gloves and rubber bands. Shirts ran out within 20 minutes last year, so it wouldn't hurt to show up early! Feel free to bring your own shirt.
• Deadline to volunteer for Mercer Farmer's Market is tonight at 6:00 PM. You can sign up here.
Thursday, May 5
• Talking about yourself is awful (remember college apps?), but hopefully Health Professions Advising can help you. They will be holding a Drafting Your Personal Statement workshop at 1:10 PM in Life Sciences 1022.
Friday, May 6
• The SoDA council is hosting Multicultural Appreciation Night from 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM in the SCC Multipurpose Room. Buca di Beppo will be catering the event. I ask you to RSVP as soon as possible as there will only be enough food for about 70 people.
Saturday, May 7
• Mercer Farmer's Market is today from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Access the volunteer form here. REMEMBER: deadline to sign-up for shifts is Wednesday, May 4 at 6:00 PM. To join the listserv please follow this link. Remember that volunteering for the Farmer's Market will give you some priority in attending monthly clinics.
• UCD Fire Department is holding their annual Pancake Breakfast from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM. For more information, click here.
• The California Raptor Center (yes, it's on UCD turf) is having an open house from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
Sunday, May 8 - Happy Mother's Day!
PSSD Publicity Coordinator 2015 - 2016