I hope week 1 treated you well. Just a reminder if you would like me to include another organization's event in the weekly announcements, please send a blurb and any information you would like to communicate to the rest of PSSD. Please have announcements for other orgs in by every Saturday morning (so if your event is that week, I can include it in that week's announcements).
If you are interested in being part of the lovely PSSD board for the 2016 - 2017 academic year, you can email Nicole to let her know what you might be interested in. We will be having a general meeting and officer info night Tuesday, April 12. My position as publicity coordinator is being divided into historian and publicity coordinator. The historian will be responsible for attending events and writing blogs. It's a lot of fun especially if you enjoy writing. Publicity coordinator will be in charge of Facebook (events, spreading the word, the group) and writing weekly announcements. If you want to ask specific questions feel free to email any of the board. All of our emails are under "contact us" on the left side our website.
Here are this week's announcements:
Announcements April 4 - April 10
- The 10th day of instruction (dropping classes, PELPing etc) is Friday, April 8.
- The last day to add classes is Tuesday, April 12.
- The 20th day of instruction is Friday, April 22.
- The deadline to opt for P/NP grading is Friday, April 29.
• Speaking of changing your schedule, here are some suggestions for possible extra units:
- Freshman seminars are a great opportunity to boost your GPA and get to know some pretty incredible professors (in small class room settings, too!). Check out the list.
- FAP 195 is a forum that focuses on health care for populations who have economic or physical difficulty receiving adequate health care, socio-cultural persepctives impacting the health of California’s undeserved populations and to make students familiar with health care needs, demographics and epidemiological characteristics of the population groups. The class meets Wednesdays from 12:10 PM - 1:00 PM. The CRN number is 44698.
• UC Davis 47th Annual Native American Culture Days is this week (April 4 - April 8).
• Want to be paid for raising your GPA? The CollegeBetter pool for Spring Quarter 2016 is now OPEN until April 8 at 11:00 PM. Visit the website for more information.
• Register for UC Davis' Pre-Health Conference! Early registration is only $15 for UCD students.
• Check out the list of research internships available for this Spring. NOTE: I do not know how many interns each professor/graduate students want. I only know of the opportunities that were available last week (March 28 - April 3). If I could multiply myself a few times to email them each day to see if positions are still available, I totally would for PSSD. But that's not possible, so let's turn this into a learning experience. Even if you email the professors & they say they have no openings, congratulations, you just effectively communicated with a UC Davis researcher. I think that's a feat in itself. However, I will update it with new opportunities (there is a new one, go look!) that are sent out on the animal science listserv for those who are not animal science majors.
• The 27th annual University of California, Davis Undergraduate Research, Scholarship and Creative Activities Conference is being held on Friday, April 8 & Saturday, April 9. It highlights undergraduates' accomplishments in research and creative projects. According to the Facebook event, 564 UC Davis undergraduates will be presenting. Go out and support! Details below.
Pre-Vet Calendar April 4 - April 10
• Health Professions Advising 1st Year Class Meeting is from 6:10 - 7:00 PM in Giedt 1001.
Tuesday, April 5
• PSSD Vet School Applications Workshop is from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM in Hart 1130.
• Applying for summer internships? The ICC can help you edit your resume! There will be a resume basics workshop from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM in 229 South Hall. If you cannot make this workshop, there is also one on Friday, April 8.
• Health Professions Advising 2nd Year Class Meeting is from 6:10 - 7:00 PM in Giedt 1001.
Wednesday, April 6
• Spring Quarter Student Organization Fair will be held on the Segundo Green from 4:30 PM to 7:30 PM
Friday, April 8
• The Undergraduate Research Conference poster presentations and art exhibit take place from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM in the ARC Pavillion.
The oral presentations will take place in Wellman Hall on April 9, 2016 at 1:00-6:00 P.M.
• Applying for summer internships? The ICC can help you edit your resume! There will be a resume basics workshop from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM in 229 South Hall.
Saturday, April 9
• The Undergraduate Research Conference oral presentations will take place in Wellman Hall from 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
• Mercer Clinic is from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM. If you would like to volunteer, please go to the Google Form. If you would like to join the listserv, please follow this link. NOTE: You must have attended mandatory orientation (at some point in this year) to attend clinic.
PSSD Publicity Coordinator 2015 - 2016