Congrats, if you are reading this because that means you survived midterm week! If you are one of the unfortunate ones that happen to have midterms this week, I wish you all the best!
PSSD's 2nd ANNUAL DOG SHOW FUNDRAISER is Saturday, May 14 at Arroyo Park from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM. Bring your family, fur babies and friends to have some fun. We will have raffles including prizes from Temple Coffee Roasters, RIRE clothing, and Tote Tails (AND MORE!). It is free to hang out (and pet puppies), but if you want to register your dog, there is a $10 registration fee. BUT PLEASE COME! We'd love to see all of your lovely faces there!
And as always:
Announcements April 25 - May 1
- REQUIREMENTS FOR OFFICER APPLICATION:
- Please send Nicole a short paragraph of intent of application by Saturday, April 30 with the following:
- And a picture of yourself. Nothing professional is needed, we just want to make sure everyone can recognize your face at the elections!
- Why you would like to run for this/these positions?
- What position(s) you are applying for?
• CLINIC OPPORTUNITY 2016 - 2017
Knights Landing One Health Vet Clinic will be changing its curriculum to a year long commitment in hopes to establish consistent committee members. Changing the curriculum from a quarter long to a year long will solidify committee roles, reduce redundancy, increase committee bonds, and overall make more experienced KLOHC volunteers. You must be a PSSD member to apply. If you have any questions email Valerie. To apply please follow the link. Applications are due Wednesday, June 1.
• SODA CELEBRATION
Students of Diverse Affilations (SoDA) is hosting a Multicultural SoDA Appreciation Night on Friday, May 6 from 7:00 PM to 11:00 PM. It is just a night to celebrate each other's presence and collaborations throughout the past year. Dinner will be catered by Crest Cafe (mediterranean food)! Entertainment also includes performances from various groups on campus. Space/food is limited, so please RSVP here. Fill out "PSSD" as the SoDA organization you are part of.
• INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY
- Four student interns are needed to work with laying hens in a research study. The study will be looking at the effects of probiotics on the production of ammonia and hydrogen sulfide in laying hen houses. Students will be helping two graduate students to develop the facility for the study and to conduct measurements from the work done during the study.
- Study begins in May. Might extend into the summer.
- What is required?
- Sophomore status AND the completion of ANS 1, 2, or AVS 13 is REQUIRED
- How many hours a week?
- 6-9 hours a week. BUT YOU WILL GET INTERNSHIP UNITS (2-3 units)
- Who do I contact?
• The deadline to opt for P/NP grading is Friday, April 29. For more dates, visit the registrar's calendar.
• PASS TIMES COME OUT MONDAY, MAY 2. Make an appointment with your advisors or peer advisors BEFORE signing up for Fall Quarter classes.
• Register for UC Davis' Pre-Health Conference! Early registration is only $15 for UCD students.
• Here is a list of Internship and Career Center events for the week of Monday, April 25 - Friday, April 29. They are hosting workshops for resume building and interview basics this week. Go, go, go!
PRE-VET CALENDAR APRIL 25 - May 1
• Health Professions Advising is hosting an internship and resume workshop at 3:10 PM in Life Sciences 1022. Yay for more resume workshops!
Tuesday, April 26
• Dr. Mitloehner (ANS 41 professor and all around really cool human being) is speaking tonight from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM in Giedt 1001.
• The Internship and Career Center's (ICC) is hosting a "Hire Me!" series. If you need help finding a job, career research, building skills/experience, organizing a search plan, then you should probably attend today's workshop from 1:10 PM to 2:00 PM in 229 South Hall.
Wednesday, April 27
• Let's be honest, everyone's resume needs some extra help. From 12:10 PM to 1:00 PM in 229 South Hall, the ICC is hosting a resume skills workshop.
• FAREWELL RECEPTION TO FONG TRAN: Cross Cultural Center Coordinator and SoDA advisor Fong Tran has accepted a position as the Director of Student Activities and Campus Life at the College of Alameda. His last day at UC Davis is Thursday, April 28. There is a farewell reception for him from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM in the Cross Cultural Center.
Thursday, April 28
• The Wildlife, Fish and Conservation department is hosting a Careers with Wildlife event from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM in 3001 Plant and Environmental Sciences Building (PES). There will be professionals speaking about their wildlife careers.
Saturday, April 30
• Relay For Life begins at 10:00 AM on Russell Field and will continue until Sunday, May 1 until 10:00 AM. It will be the first time it is hosted outside! It's not too late to sign up!
• PSSD is having a RADIOLOGY AND ANATOMY LAB from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM in 1010 Gladys Valley Hall. Emails will be sent out early in the week. If you have been chosen, you will be notified.
•Mercer Farmer's Market is today from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Emails for volunteers will be sent out soon. To join the listserv please follow this link. Remember that volunteering for the Farmer's Market will give you some priority in attending monthly clinics.
Sunday, May 1
• Ted-X is coming to UC DAVIS. There will be 9 individuals giving unique talks from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM at the Mondavi Center. Tickets are $17 for students. Buy them on the Mondavi Center's website.
• Yolo County SPCA is hosting a May Day for Mutts Festival from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM in Central Park. There will be adoptable dogs present as well as a silent auction. For more information, please visit the Facebook event.
PSSD Publicity Coordinator 2015 - 2016